× News, announcements or updates regarding Events or Competitions the IKSA are involved in organising or running.

IKSA Water Charge 2015 - Competitor Feedback

2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #145 by Bryan Pelly
Bryan Pelly created the topic: IKSA Water Charge 2015 - Competitor Feedback
As this was the first competitive event organised by the IKSA for a long time - we would appreciate if any of the competitors could provide us with some feedback on how the event went for them.

This is purely to understand what worked well, what we can improve upon & whether there is appetite for more events like this to be organised in the near future.

We had hoped to run a Freestyle competition but didn't quite make the numbers to make this discipline happen - is this something that people would like to be involved in for future events?

Also, Ladies and Juniors divisions were very low on numbers - was this just poor timing, for anyone who didn't register or compete - would you be interested in future events?

Any thoughts, feedback, ideas or suggestions, good or bad, we would love to hear them.

Thanks on behalf of the IKSA for registering and competing, and for your cooperation over the weekend - we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Bryan

Bryan
I am your master... your IKSA Webmaster
Contact: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Bryan Pelly.
  • Bryan Pelly
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • I am a Space Copter Kid
More
2 years 6 months ago #147 by Warren Polly
Warren Polly replied the topic: IKSA Water Charge 2015 - Competitor Feedback
Bryan

Racing was awesome, accessible to all abilities and the format means everyone gets to compete all weekend. Not sure everyone fully understood this prior, but now the word should be out to those who didn't show up.

I'd be all for racing only events and leave the other disciplines to the battle of the lake / bay etc. Say, schedule 7 races over a weekend, 4 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday type of thing.

In terms of category numbers, I reckon once the word is out about the format, the numbers will increase (i.e. as soon as everyone knows they get to compete for a full weekend and aren't being knocked out in a heat).

The only thing with racing is the added organisation of laying marks. Most sailing events have simplified their courses to windward / leeward, straight up and down. This only requires two racing marks and a start / finish line mark (which are the same line). This actually adds more tactics into it as you can gybe at any point when going back downwind.

Overall an excellent weekend!

Cheers, Warren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bryan Pelly
More
2 years 6 months ago #148 by Nicola Murphy
Nicola Murphy replied the topic: IKSA Water Charge 2015 - Competitor Feedback
Hello IKSA

Firstly, well done on the event. For the (unfortunately) short time I was there it was awesome with a great buzz around the place. There was obviously a huge amount of work put into it and having had no involement in the organisation of it I can say I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Only from my point of view as a "lady" kiter what prevents me from entering (besides my inexperience and full knowledge that I'll get a serious ass whopping from Daly, Courtney, Catesby to name but a few - but you enter anyway for the craic right?) is the unknown elements. As someone who has never competed before (in pretty much anything) I have ZERO idea what to expect.

If there was a diagram that could be put on the website a couple of days (once wind is confirmed) in advance of potential buoy position with arrows pointing at what you have to do - start here, kite to here, go around the little red thing, kite to the next red thing, go around that, do it again and then cross the finish line - like a digitised riders meeting - it might help to build some "sure even I could do that" confidence.

Just a suggestion based on what might potentially get me off my arse for next time - and obviously some time on the water between now and then wouldnt go amiss.
More
2 years 6 months ago #149 by Bryan Pelly
Bryan Pelly replied the topic: IKSA Water Charge 2015 - Competitor Feedback
Gotcha... and we did post something on Facebook to illustrate the racing course we were proposing to use (but typically I can't find it now - it may have been removed since)

There were materials prepared that didn't quite make it through draft version to publishing on the website due to time pressures, higher priority preparations for the event (and other things such as full time jobs and the like - which I know you're very aware of after all the years of volunteering on the committee ;) )...

I think we'd a great turnout for the first event we've run of this type... maybe it's just as well we didn't have more than the 40 riders that registered as this could have complicated matters somewhat and maybe led to some congestion on the water

We've learned a huge amount over the last couple of weeks and have the materials used during planning, preparation and execution - these will be invaluable for any future events in the pipeline

Bryan
I am your master... your IKSA Webmaster
Contact: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Bryan Pelly
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • I am a Space Copter Kid
More
2 years 6 months ago #150 by Niall Roche
Niall Roche replied the topic: IKSA Water Charge 2015 - Competitor Feedback
It was ran really well guys, it was nice to race and not stand on the beach all day, in saying that we need to get some more volunteers for that bit, maybe have a rota for taking the results, it's hard doing that all weekend, but I think it will happen and more volunteers will come and help for weekends like that,well done,

More
2 years 6 months ago #167 by Aisling Daly
Aisling Daly replied the topic: IKSA Water Charge 2015 - Competitor Feedback
I absolutely loved the racing. It just meant that it was anyones for the taking and you're not worried about who has been kiting longer than you or who can do better tricks, you just have to get upwind. the run from the second marker to the third downwind was a lot of fun. The three flag system worked extremely well and could be seen from the water so there was no wondering what was happening. Everything was explained in advance and it was up to each rider to pay attention but definitely everything was run very efficiently.

The hangtime element I also loved (even if Sarah did beat me :)

More volunteers is always helpful and IKSA love to see people getting involved. As I was trying to be on water and help on the shore I was as useful as an underwater hairdryer but overall what a great event. Well done to everyone involved.

Heres to the next one :)

More
2 years 6 months ago #168 by aaron cassells
aaron cassells replied the topic: IKSA Water Charge 2015 - Competitor Feedback
Today at 4:33 PM

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your efforts again on organising the water charge.

really enjoyed the friendly approach to the event on and off the water!

Would have loved to have seen a better local turn out but a good spread of people form all over the country was nice to see.

Another event would be great and where possible would always support it.

The racing was good as got better as more people got used to the rules of course sailing.

hard to know where to improve the actually racing part.

everybody rides different sizes of kite, but a more level race field where possible would give more people a chance to get on the podium ( helps if you don't wipe out when in second place) still recovering from that stack!!!

would love to see an event on the north coast.

but Ballyholme came up triumphs with the wind and sunshine for us

What about some regional teams race? Say 3/4 guys from each age group combined count towards a perpetual trophy and good prizes

Like a club race where by your only as good as the team total score.

builds up even more banter and friendships in the sport.

Anyways keep thinking outside the box

See you on the water

Aaron Cassells
More
2 years 6 months ago #173 by Warren Vance
Warren Vance replied the topic: IKSA Water Charge 2015 - Competitor Feedback
Thanks for all the comments.. I seen this idea about 7 years ago in Spain liked the idea and format
This winter i entered my first TT race that was me hooked.... Seen the fun, buzz kitesurfers had and it is open to all levels
Lots of people are still giving me positive feed back and sorry they couldn't make it
Racing is the way forward for IKSA Comps and some craic
This was IKSA first go at this I was very impressed how riders after a few races got the hang of the format very quick
It is simple watch the flags and remember when u r off. Master,mens, ladies youth Masters mens ladies youth That will be same for the next comp You should be able to get at least 6 races per fleet each day
Rules are all on IKSA site I am not sure if anyone looked at them

Nikki here you go Simple

On that note more comps :) Dates are not confirmed Will confirm Monday 25 May 2023
Hooked Kite fest have asked IKSA will they bring IKSA water charge to Wexford Duncannon 22 23 August 2023
Back Belfast for grand final Water Charge 2015 12 /13 Sept 2015 Tyrella Ballyholme Cloughey

Dates are not confirmed Will confirm Monday 25 May 2023

Attachments:
More
2 years 6 months ago #175 by Jakob Stack-Kral
Jakob Stack-Kral replied the topic: IKSA Water Charge 2015 - Competitor Feedback
I competed at the IKSA water charge event and really enjoyed it. it was my first comp and I managed to come 2nd for the juniors which was a huge accomplishment. I really enjoyed the racing and the hang time was great too. The only thing is I would have liked to try my arm at freestyle which didn't happen. It also would have been nice if there were more people there. All in all it was a great event and I can't wait for more to come.
Jakob
More
2 years 6 months ago #178 by Aaron Baugh
Aaron Baugh replied the topic: IKSA Water Charge 2015 - Competitor Feedback
Unfortunately i couldnt make it up to the event due to work. But I would have loved to have entered. I wouldnt have been able to the the freestyle but as you were saying the tt racing is the way forward would have defo given that a go :woohoo: Also the hang time sounded cool from chatting to people who were at the event. looking forward to the next one just please dont have it when im working ha.
More